Your dentist may recommend a dental crown if you have a tooth that is cracked, damaged, or severely decayed and a simple composite filling cannot repair it. Dental crowns are made of high-strength ceramic and porcelain materials and designed to align with your natural bite. We can improve the natural function and appearance of your smile for long-term results with a dental crown in Annapolis, MD
For more than 20 years, Annapolis dentist Dr. Vernon Sheen has been using dental crowns to strengthen and recreate the natural beauty of patients’ smiles. Dr. Sheen is one of the few dentists in Annapolis to also offer same-day dental crowns, thanks to advanced CEREC technology.
Dental Crowns in Annapolis
A dental crown is a restorative dental prosthetic that will encase and cover a damaged or weakened natural tooth. Resembling a real tooth in shape, size, and color, it will serve as both functional and cosmetic purposes.
We can create a dental crown from a variety of materials such as porcelain, ceramic, metal alloys, or a combination of these. However, we typically use a professional-grade ceramic. This material reflects light like natural teeth. Dr. Sheen is able to color-match a ceramic crown to match the color of your natural teeth, helping your new tooth blend in seamlessly.
A tooth crown can improve a tooth’s appearance, align the bite, and enhance chewing and speaking functions. Dr. Sheen will recommend it for dental problems like severe cavities, fractured teeth, and root canal-treated teeth. With proper care and maintenance, dental crowns can last many years, contributing to improved oral health and a pleasing smile.
Benefits of dental crowns include:
- Stain Resistant
- Plaque Resistant
- Supports Oral Health
We Offer Same Day Dental Crowns in Annapolis, MD
Dr. Sheen offers the option of same-day dental crowns for select patients. This modern dental technology uses superior materials and technology to produce a well-fitted dental restoration. We offer CEREC same day dental crowns in Annapolis, MD. With the CEREC computer software technology and CAD/CAM technology, Dr. Sheen can design, fabricate and place a dental crown in a single visit.
The benefits of a CEREC same day dental crown include:
- Having your treatment completed in one visit instead of 2 or 3
- You will not have to wear a temporary dental crown
- No need to wait for a dental crown from a dental lab
- We can produce a highly accurate and custom-fit restoration
- Reduced discomfort
The Dental Crown Process
We equip our Annapolis, MD dentist office that allows for single-visit restorations. While dental crown procedures can take two or three office visits in most dental offices, we can complete yours in just one. This expedited dental crown process works like this:
- Examination of the tooth: Dr. Sheen will begin by examining your tooth to determine if a dental crown is necessary. If so, then we will discuss the treatment plan and how the dental crown procedure works.
- Tooth preparation: Once the treatment plan is finalized, Dr. Sheen will prepare the tooth by removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure. This will remove all decayed and damaged portions of the tooth and create room for the crown to fit over the tooth.
- Digital impressions: With the use of CEREC same day dental crowns, we will take digital impressions of your teeth instead of using traditional dental molds. These produce detailed 3D pictures of your teeth to fabricate your custom dental crown.
- Designing the dental crown: Your dentist will use the special software to create a custom dental crown from the highly accurate pictures. This software allows precise shaping and sizing of the crown for a perfect fit.
- Milling the dental crown: The next step is to send the design to a milling machine located in our dental office. The machine carves the crown out of a solid block of ceramic, often in just minutes. This ensures high accuracy and eliminates the need for a temporary crown.
- Placing the dental crown: When your highly precise and custom dental crown is ready, we will bond it to the prepared tooth using dental cement. Your dentist will ensure that it fits precisely and that your bite alignment is good.
- Final adjustments: Any necessary adjustments are made to ensure your comfort and bite alignment.
How Can Dental Crowns Support Your Best Smile?
Dental crowns are made of a stain-resistant, durable material that can last upwards of twenty-five years. Dentists use dental crowns to support the structure of your natural tooth or to replace a missing tooth. We will permanently secure a dental crown over a root canal or a dental implant for life-like tooth restoration. Dr. Sheen will also use a crown to treat:
- Cracked Teeth
- Misshapen Teeth
- Severe Tooth Decay
- Missing Teeth
- Weak Teeth
- Damaged Teeth
Properly fitted and maintained dental crowns last upwards of 25 years and are a great treatment option for patients who want both a functionally strong and natural-looking smile.
Dental Crowns FAQs
To learn more about dental crowns, read through our frequently asked questions section. These are answers to common questions we often get asked. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us during regular business hours.
How fast can I get a dental crown?
We can fabricate your custom dental crown in as little as two hours. We offer same-day crowns using CEREC technology and can place them in a single visit. Traditional dental crowns can be fabricated and placed in about two weeks.
Do I always need a dental crown after a root canal?
Yes, all root canal procedures should include the placement of a dental crown. Without reinforcement, your tooth’s structure becomes very susceptible to further decay, fractures, hot and cold sensitivity, and tooth damage. It is important to cap your tooth after root canal treatment for maximum protection.
Can your repair a broken dental crown?
In some cases, yes. Although we highly recommend replacing the crown completely. This will ensure that your crown’s structure is not compromised and that no cavities and infections occur under the damaged crown.
Can an old dental crown be whitened?
No. Traditional teeth whitening can not effectively whiten a dental crown of any kind. You are actually better off replacing the crown instead of spending the money to try and whiten it. Replacing a dental crown is more effective and provides many benefits, as mentioned above.
What should I do if my dental crown falls off?
The first thing you should do is locate the crown if it is lost. Then call our dental office as soon as possible. You need to get a dental appointment scheduled to fix the crown. Find the dental crown and clean it off. Examine it for damage. If you can, go buy some temporary dental cement that is sold at a drug store. Avoid using the tooth until you your dentist can see you.
Can you place a dental crown on a tooth with a large cavity?
Yes, your dentist may choose to place a dental crown on a tooth with a large cavity. They are often used on teeth with extensive decay or cavities that are too large to repaired with a traditional dental filling. A dental crown will protect the tooth from more damage and help restore the tooth.
Can I chew gum or eat sticky food with a dental crown?
You can however, it is best to avoid chewing gum or eating very sticky foods with a dental crown. Except in the initial period after the crown placement. During this time, we highly recommend avoiding sticky and hard foods. Dental crowns are durable and designed to withstand normal chewing forces, but they can still be damaged easily.
Visit Our Annapolis Dental Office
Dental crowns can help restore your damaged tooth and oral health so you can enjoy your smile for years to come. For more information on dental crowns and other dental services we offer, or to schedule an appointment, contact the Annapolis dental office of Dr. Sheen today. Call (443) 482-5202 or request an appointment online.